Evensong for Ascensiontide
Sunday 28 May, 6pm
Selwyn College, Cambridge, CB3 9DQ
The Cantilena Singers are covering quiet week at Selwyn College for the second time, and are pleased to be leading the musical aspect of the worship for choral evensong on Ascension Sunday, with the following music:
- Introit: Coelos ascendit hodie – Stanford
- Preces and responses: David W. Beeby
- Canticles: Harris in A
- Anthem: Christ, whose glory fills the sky – Darke
The choir will be joined by organist Jonathan Giles.
A celebration of Britain and Europe
Saturday 8 July, 7.30pm
Church of St Mary, Stow cum Quy, CB25 9AF
With Britain on the verge of a new relationship with the countries of continental Europe, join the Cantilena Singers for a summer evening exploring the rich musical tradition that has bound us together for more than 500 years, from the early Renaissance music of Josquin des Prez to the plainsong-inspired music of Maurice Duruflé some half a millennium later, by way of the English Tudor period and the Romantic part songs of 19th century England and Germany.
Programme to include:
- Josquin des Prez – El Grillo (The Cricket)
- Byrd – This sweet and merry month of May, Though Amaryllis dance in green
- Passereau – Il est bel et bon
- Clara Schumann – Abendfeier in Venedig
- Rheinberger – Abendlied
- Elgar – My love dwelt in a northern land, As torrents in summer
- Stanford – Shall we go dance?, Heraclitus, When Mary through the garden went
- Duruflé – Notre Père
- Finzi – My spirit sang all day
Tickets £10 (free admission for under 18s).